1. 7-Keto Dhea. (3-acetyl-7Oxo DHEA or 7-keto DHEA) is a natural metabolite of dehydroepiandrosterone, this is the hormone produced by your adrenal glands to form testosterone. Unlike DHEA, 7-keto DHEA increases metabolic rate by boosting thyroid hormone production. It also enhances energy production at the mitochondria within your cells. 100 to 200 mg per day, 1 to 3 times per day.
2. Alpha Lipoic Acid - ALA. ALA is an antioxidant that reduces the amount of insulin produced in the body when carbs are eaten which reduces fat storage. 100 to 500 mg daily.
3. Arginine. We had a chat about L-Arginine in the last edition of Healthbites. Arginine helps with fat loss by boosting both NO (nitric oxide) and Growth Hormone production, each of these chemicals increases lipolysis (fat usage).
4. Beta - Phenyl-Ethylamine - PEA. (Phenylethylamine) This is a metabolite of the amino acid phenylalanine. It burns fat by increasing the release of norepinephrine and by boosting levels of dopamine and serotonin it makes you feel happy and less likely to overdose on carbs. 100 to 500 mg ? times a day.
5. Caffeine. Yes our good friend from last weeks issue of Healthbites, it is included here because it is one of the most potent fat blasters. It stimulates your metabolism and increases fat release from cells. Take one hour before training to boost your fat loss efforts. Try 100 to 300 mg every 4 hours. Avoid taking late in the evening if you hope to sleep.
6. Calcium. For every fat loss article about calcium you will find one that contradicts it. From my own experience extra calcium works. Calcium regulates the hormone calcitriol, which causes the body to produce fat and inhibits fat breakdown. When calcium levels are adequate, calcitriol is suppressed. Calcium also aids fat loss by decreasing the amount of dietary fat that's absorbed by your intestines. Try to get about 1000 mg per day with food.
7. Capsaicin. This is the heat chemical in your chilli peppers. It boosts fat loss by increasing your metabolism and by raising the levels of norepinephrine. Use a tablet or take chilli powder or cayenne pepper in your food ? be daring, go for the burn.
8. Carnitine. This lovely fellow helps take fat into your cells where it is burned as fuel. It works even better on low carb diets and during exercise. As a bonus it also increases testosterone receptors in muscle cells which aids in muscle growth. 1000 to 2000 mg 3 times a day with meals.
9. Chitosan. Chitosan is a protein made from chitin (from the shells of crustaceans.) It is a charged protein that binds to attracts and binds to fat, removing it from the digestive system before it can be absorbed. (Don?t bother trying to eat crab shells ? this will be unpleasant and a waste of time) Try about 2 gm before a higher fat meal.
10. Chocamine is an extract of cocoa, it contains many wonderful ingredients like caffeine, theobromine, tyramine and phenylethylamine. Working together these guys promote fat burning, improve mood, increase energy and decrease appetite. 1000 to 2000 mg - 1 to 3 times per day.
11.Chromium. Chromium Picolinate has been shown to dramatically reduce carbohydrate cravings and leads to enhanced fat loss in humans. This supplement is also helpful in maintaining your optimal insulin balance.
12. Conjugated Linoleic Acid ? CLA. Using CLA over several months can reduce body fat while helping to maintain muscle mass. CLA is a naturally occurring product found in meat & dairy items. 1-3 gm with all 3 meals.
13. Eviodamine. What's with all the big words? Believe me, you aint seen nuthin yet. Eviodamine is an extract from the plant evodia rutaecarpa. It burns fat by stimulating certain receptors in your central nervous system. Eviodamine also reduces hunger and slows digestion. 30-50 mg 2-3 times per day.
14. Forskolin. This is the active compound extracted from the herb coleus forskohlii (a member of the mint family) it enhances fat loss by activating the enzyme adenylate cyclase (also involved in testosterone production.) This leads to the activation of hormone-sensitive lipoprotein lipase which allows fat stored in cells to be used as fuel. Try a product that has been standardised to 20-50 mg forskolin - 2 to 3 times per day.
15. Glutamine. Research shows that glutamine can increase fat-burning and metabolic rate. In a study from Iowa State University (Ames), test subjects who took glutamine with breakfast increased the number of calories and amount of fat burned for energy. A follow-up study from the same lab, showed that glutamine taken before exercise resulted in even more calories being burned. In addition, glutamine is effective at boosting GH (growth hormone). While GH is very anabolic, it also works to increase lipolysis, which frees fat from fat cells.
16. Green Tea Extract. GTE contains compounds called catechins, the main catechin for fat burning is called epigallocatechin 3 gallate (EGCG). EGCG inhibits the enzyme that breaks down norepinephrine, the neurotransmitter involved in fat burning. Green tea extract also helps in preventing certain cancers and helps with joint healing. Toss down about 500 mg of GTE 3 times per day before meals. Green tea extract is far better than drinking green tea itself.
17. Guarana - A caffeine containing compound, some research indicates that it isn?t as effective as caffeine from coffee or caffeine anhydrous (caffeine pills). 200-600 mg as required for energy boost!
18. Guggulsterones. Yep that's a real word. These guys enhance thyroid hormone output. They also boost thermogenesis resulting in greater fat burning. There is evidence that they also improve cholesterol levels. Guggulsterones are plant sterols that come from the resin of the commiphora mukul tree. E & Z type have the best human bioactivity. Use 20 - 60 mg 2-3 times per day.
19. Hoodia taken from the hoodia gordonii plant in South Africa has appetite suppressing properties, it tricks your brain into thinking it?s full. While not a fat burning supp, if you eat less you will lose weight. 500-1000 mg, 1-2 times per day.
20. Hydroxycitric Acid - HCA. More plant goodies, this one extracted from the garcinia cambogia plant. When taken prior to exercise it frees up more fat cells for use as fuel (for your hard working muscles). 500-1000 mg 2-3 times per day. Make sure you take one dose 30 mins before exercising.
21. Medium Chain Triglycerides - MCTs. Here's a tricky one, MCT's are a type of fat (yes fat) found in coconut oil & palm kernel oil. Even though it's a saturated fat (normally evil) this one is actually good for you. MCT's don't get stored in fat cells like normal fat they get used by your muscles for fuel. MCT's cause greater fat loss and fat burning and may even help in muscle building & immune system boosting. 1-2 tablespoons with food 1-4 times a day. Consult your Dr. if you are a diabetic and try smaller amounts until you adjust to avoid stomach upset!
22. Omega 3's. My favouritest (bad English) supplement of all. Omega 3's have so many uses that I could fill a book on the topic, for now we are concerned with fat loss benefits. Fish oil contains the essential omega-3 fatty acids (eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) that are now known to be beneficial for burning fat. One of the main mechanisms is through omega-3's conversion to beneficial prostaglandins, hormone-like substances that can promote thermogenesis. A study from Virginia Commonwealth University (Richmond) found that omega-3 fatty acids also help prevent dietary fat from being stored as body fat. Additional benefits include better brain health and a more positive attitude. Take about 1-3 gm per day in 3 doses.
23. Sesamin - Sesamin, a lignan (lignans are one of the major classes of phytoestrogens) from sesame oil, is a powerful antioxidant that's also a potent fat-burner. The active form of sesamin has been found to turn on a specific receptor found in muscle, heart and liver cells known as peroxisome proliferator-activator receptor alpha (PPAR alpha). Activating PPAR alpha turns on genes that increase fat-burning and decrease fat storage. 500 - 1000 mg 3 times per day with food.
24. Tetradecylthioacetic acid - TTA. TTA is a specialized fatty acid that has sulphur bound to it, which prevents it from being burned for fuel by the body but allows it to regulate the burning and storage of dietary fats. TTA works by stimulating PPAR alpha as well as PPAR delta and PPAR gamma, which provides other effects such as diminishing total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol levels while boosting insulin sensitivity. This means you need less insulin released than normal, which can further aid fat-loss efforts. 500 - 1000 mg 3 times per day with food.
25. Tyrosine is an amino acid used in the body to make many neurotransmitters & hormones including norepinephrine (NE), dopamine and the thyroid hormones to enhance fat loss and mental acuity. Taking tyrosine increases NE which in turn raises your metabolism and causes fat burning. 500 ? 1000 mg 2 times per day ? one dose 30 mins before workout.
It has been noticed that taking pain relief drugs containing Hydrocodone
including popular Lortab may lead to appetite loss.